Saturday, June 4, 2011
Kids Say The Darndest Things
Last week while my students were working on an assignment, one of my little boys asked if I was married. When I asked if there was an Mrs on my door he said, "No." I then said, "then I guess I'm not married." To which he replied, " You don't even have a ring, not that it matters." Before I knew it, one of my other little boys asked why I wasn't married. He told me that there were "lots of good guys to marry." Then another little boy asked, "Who would call 911 if you were hurt?". I told this little boy that I had lots of friends that would call if I ever needed it. Then the classic question of them all came from one of my students who is an ESL. He asked, "Are you real lonely? Do you live with a cat?" I just had to sit back and laugh on the inside because they were so concerned for me. I love the sincerity that comes from little children and their complete honesty!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
You are a saint! Little kids are great when I am not the one teaching them - I guess that's why I teach high school! :)
Hi! It's me Kimber Uluave from our class. I love your blog and I love that you have such darling kids.
Kimber
I love the innocence of kids!
I love the comment from the little boy that said, "there lots of good guys to marry." He should know right? He has a bunch of available 8 year old buddies he spends time with. LOL....the innocence of kids is totally....what's the Kung Fu Panda uses...oh yeah...AWESOME!
I love your blog. I can tell that you have a great personality, which is probabl why you are great with the little guys. I have a 4 year old and she tells me like it is, so I can only imagine what you get to hear everyday. They really are so precious.
The comments that kids say are still entertaining as they get older. I have heard some pretty awesome things from the mouths of 7th graders. Ninth grade comments are just obnoxious though..
You are right kids do say funny things. My 4 year old is always cracking me up.
Thad
I wish my students were as nice as your little ones. Mine ask me,"What's your problem, you're getting old!" During this past year I was telling my students when I have kids how I plan to raise them and one of my class clown's said,"If you ever have kids!" Needless to say the whole class burst out laughing and I didn't have a response. Teaching is such a rewarding experience, even when the kids call you out in front of the whole class!
You’re right, kids DO say the darndest things! When I taught fifth grade, my students were always on the lookout for my future husband, from the male assistants and custodians, to the much older substitutes and their single fathers (yes, I said their fathers!). I always appreciated their concern and innocence about my well-being, and used to laugh at some of the dating and marriage candidates they had in mind.
I’ve also heard my fair share of hilarious comments from students of all ages over the years. I’ll never forget one of my dear students who, after our math lesson, raised her hand and said (in a valley girl voice), “I don’t get it.” When I asked, “What is it that you’re not understanding?” she replied, “All of it!” While the rest of the class was working, I pulled her aside and re-taught the concept a bit differently. She had some other memorable moments that year, but that one will forever stand out to me.
I love the innocence of children. Sometimes we have to teach them about filtering some of the questions and comments that come out of their mouths, but most often those questions and comments come from a genuine place of concern and curiosity. Gotta love those darn kids!
Post a Comment